Broker Spotlight – Scott Weddle
1. How did you become a mortgage broker?
When I worked in Glasgow for HSBC I moved into the mortgage department and started learning the ins and outs of mortgage financing. I found it really interesting and eventually became a mortgage advisor. It was a natural choice for me when I moved to Australia given my past career and have really enjoyed learning how lenders operate here.
2. What do you like most about the industry?
I love speaking with clients and being able to offer value to their financial well-being. I find helping clients save money very satisfying.
3. Who is your favourite lender and why?
I think I have too many of my BDM friends on here to answer that so I’ll plead the fifth.
4. What advice would you offer a new broker joining the industry?
Enjoy the ride! The job isn’t easy and there is a lot to learn. Enjoy the experience of it and try not to let things work you up too much. Not every case will be handled perfectly and it’s about learning how to improve for your next one.
5. How and when did you join Vision?
I joined Vision in July of 2021. They were very flexible with me and they are a great team of genuine people looking to help and support you.
6. What do you do in your spare time?
I enjoy going out for meals and I am a trainee surfer (although not very good!)
7. What challenges are you facing with the current climate?
I think it has been an interesting and challenging time dealing with COVID and the impacts it has had on small businesses across Australia. The biggest challenge has been lending to small businesses who have suffered from COVID but have great businesses. The government and lenders have done amazing to support this.
8. If you won $10M tomorrow, what would you do?
I would pay off my family mortgages then maybe buy myself a nice big house somewhere in Sydney!
9. Describe what you were like in high school in 3 words?
Loud, Loud, Loud.
10. What is your key for success?
For me it’s hard work, good time management and putting the customer at the heart of everything you do.
11. What makes you laugh?
Kids falling over in a supermarket. Is that bad?